I absolutely love zucchini. This recipe is not only super easy and quick, but it goes well with most main dishes; especially mediterranean or italian flavours. It is also a great way to increase your vegetable intake for the day. I am normally quite pedantic when it comes to ingredients and their quantities but these boats don’t require any measurements. Enjoy! Serves 4 Ingredients:
- 4 zucchini – 1 zucchini per person (try to pick straight ones)
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
- small handful of fresh basil
- handful of shredded parmesan
- optional: shredded low fat mozzarella
- few tablespoons of olive oil
- cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash and dry zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half length wise. Slice off a bit of the back so it will lay flat. Turn over and scoop out some of the middle. Don’t scoop out much, just enough to put in a little cheese.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Brush the underside of the zucchini with olive oil to stop it sticking to the paper. Pour some olive oil into a small bowl and mix with the garlic. Brush this on the top side of the zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle on a little salt and cracked pepper.
- Now fill your boats with some cheese.
- Slice the tomatoes into small pieces so that they aren’t any wider than the zucchini and place on top.
- Top with chopped basil. Add a little more cracked pepper and little more cheese and then place them into the oven to cook.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Check to see if they are done at 15 minutes if your zucchini are smaller.
Here I have served the boats with middle eastern spiced chicken, a haloumi salad and minted yoghurt. Yum!
<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13578777/?claim=f5pzc7wbtjh”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Adding herbs like oregano, thyme, etc. would pop up the recipe!
Sounds like a great idea!
Ofcuz dear! Taste enhances when you exchange ideas.