When I went to Auckland a month or two ago I had the most amazing breakfast at Dear Jervois (click her to see the deliciousness). The balsamic mushrooms were so freaking good that I had to try find a way to recreate this dish at home ASAP.
Hannah and I invited some friends over for brunch to celebrate the long weekend – I know Labour weekend was a while ago, but hey I have been busy 😉 . I decided this would be a great time to crank out the shrooms. The recipe is below.
CREAMY BALSAMIC MUSHROOMS
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 24 button mushrooms, sliced
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 50 to 100 ml cream, depending on how indulgent you’re feeling
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add the oil, garlic and mushrooms to a frying pan at medium heat and saute for a few minutes.
- Add half the balsamic vinegar to the pan and turn up the heat so it bubbles and reduces. When it’s reduced quite a bit, add the rest of the vinegar. Keep it bubbling but don’t let it reduce to nothing.
- Take it off the heat and add the cream, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and place the pan back on the element. Cook until the cream is hot or until it has reduced to the consistency that you like.
- You can make the mushrooms in advance but make sure that you undercook the mushrooms in the first step, so that when you go to re-heat in the pan or the oven you don’t overcook them.
- Pour over crunchy ciabatta bread or serve as a side dish.
- If you are wanting to make this dish for a crowd, simply multiply the recipe by however many people you have coming for breakfast.