I have recently started receiving the Cuisine magazine. A copy of the July issue turned up in our letterbox the other day, and it was addressed to yours truly. Hamish had sneakily bought me a years subscription to the magazine while at the food show. He knows the way to my heart… food.
I made a goal, that I would cook at least 3 recipes per mag. So here is one of my fave recipes from the July issue. It is in the section that has quick and clever ideas for the midweek rush. This was such an easy dish to whip up. My flat mate Hannah said it was one of her fave meals that I have cooked so far.
MEATBALL RISOTTO WITH CHILLI & MINT
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oi
- 400g Italian-style pork sausages, skins removed, rolled into 3cm balls
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g Arborio rice
- 125ml white wine
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 50g, parmesan, finely grated
- 50g butter, chopped
- ½ cup coarsely torn mint leaves, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- To make the risotto, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wide deep frying pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown for 4 minutes then remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and garlic and fry until the onion is soft, stirring regularly.
- Add the rice and mix well then add the wine and simmer until evaporated. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock and 250 ml water to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the stock, 1 cup at a time, to the rice, stirring between each addition, until it is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- When there is 1 cup of stock remaining, return the meatballs to the rice. Once all the stock has been absorbed, turn off the heat and stir in the peas, parmesan, butter, mint and half of the chilli.
- Divide the risotto among 4 bowls and top with the coarsely torn mint leaves, the remaining chilli and freshly ground black pepper.