Today I am at home sick with a head cold. I am currently wrapped up in my pink, fluffy dressing gown, wearing my purple flannel pjs and ugg boots. After drinking a litre of juice and drugging myself up with various medicines from the pharmacy, I have decided to make my favourite oats for breakfast (it’s 1pm) to attempt to make myself feel better.
This is a perfect breakfast for the winter months as it warms you up. I love the way that the fruit sort of melts into the oats due to baking it in the oven. You could prepare the oats the night before if you are short on time in the morning.
This recipe is from www.DeliciouslyElla.com. I love her website! Her recipes are based on using whole, plant based foods. I always head over to her blog when I need new ideas for breakfast, juices and smoothies, raw foods, and salads
- 1 cup of gluten free oats
- 1 cup of blueberries, or any berries you have at home
- 1 and a 1/2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 a cup of raisins
- 1/4 a cup of almond milk
- a handful of walnuts, or any nuts you have at home, i opted for sliced almonds today
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup (optional)
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 190C.
- Place the oats in a bowl and cover them with boiling water, soak for ten minutes. During this time chop the banana into slices and crush the walnuts into small bite sized chunks.
- Once the water has been absorbed and the oats are soft stir in the banana, blueberries, raisins, almond milk, walnuts, cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Then place all the ingredients into your baking dish. I like to put a few slices of banana, a scattering of blueberries and raisins, and a handful of walnuts on the top to make it look pretty, but this is totally optional!
- Then bake for 20 minutes, until the top has slightly browned.
Serve and enjoy!